If you need a back up solution that is cost effective, VPS is best for you.
If you wish to have dedicated server resources, but can’t afford the high cost of dedicated server, then VPS is the best for you.
The short answer is - every system administrator needs it. Some examples of practical applications:
- Web & Application hosting - all ranges on the same platform, from low-level shared to medium-power virtual server to powerful dedicated servers - seamless scaling up in the same safe virtual private server.
- Server consolidation - put together your existing servers and use more powerful and reliable hardware.
- Increase availability - keep an up-to-date copy of your virtual private server on another server, and start it in seconds in case of failure
- Education - each student gets its own virtual server with root access
- Testing - safe experimentation on the machine that runs another services
- Clean sandbox - install each service in its own freshly created Vritual Private Server, and you will never have to resolve dependency problems.
- Multiversioning - keep "snapshots" of the project you are working on and be able to switch back and forth in seconds
- Improve network services security - run each server in its own Virtual Private Server. If the application has a security hole, only this particular virtual private server will be compromised, never the whole system.